Thursday, July 18, 2013

Causes...

I have been thinking about the causes people promote.

I've had my own. Inviting people to college Bible study or youth group... raising money for going to missions camps... asking people to support my buying a cell phone for use the college ministry... yeah, that one was a little weird, but whatever. Oh, and of course, GGFG.

I have promoted others' books sometimes, and often promoted small Christian girl Web sites. (Why? Because they are promoting the Gospel and Christian values, so we're after the same thing - saved souls.)

 That's the thing. If I'm not meeting a physical need (which often can lead to a spiritual need being fulfilled) or a spiritual need to begin with, I'm often not really sold on the cause. I may repost something here or there, but there are so many good causes... I found I need to be careful what I put my whole energy into.

James explains what a good cause is all about pretty well, I think. Here are two different translations (The Message groups verses differently so sorry it's not apples to apples here).

----------------------------
James 1:26-27 The Message

Anyone who sets himself up as “religious” by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world.

James 1:27 NIV
 
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. 
----------------------------

People are called to work in different areas, and I think it's fine if your life calling has little to do with mine. I won't bash your cause, but I may not promote it - the only cause I'll never back down on is the Gospel. I believe all people need a Savior. I believe the only one who's able to save that way is Jesus. I believe God sent Jesus to be more than a good guy - He was life-blood spilled to pay the penalty for sin which is death. And He was God, so of course He didn't stay dead. Believing in this, and trusting Jesus for all my needs, has been an ongoing life changing thing.

Sometimes in my life I've had a hard time knowing how to reach my world. I felt like one missed opportunity happened the other day at the gym. The man at the counter said, "interesting email address" about my reach_this_world address. I could have said, "I chose that as a kid because I wanted to remind myself why I'm here - to remind me about God's purposes for me." But I didn't say it. What if that had been inspiring or encouraging to him? I'll say it next time someone asks :)

Sometimes it's easier to reach a group using a cause. I think our Campus Crusade for Christ Bible study groups grew better because they had a well-known organizational name, and God worked through that.

I want the causes I choose to affiliate with to be causes I can make a lasting impact with. I don't want to leave someone hurting because I was busy promoting something.

No comments:

Post a Comment