Wednesday, July 3, 2013

40 days and 40 nights

We weren't the ones in pink doing our nails -
we had lizards to catch, races to run.
We'd never touch a romance novel, but we
admired beauty in a thousand westerns,
a hundred pieces of another culture's art,
a Bible verse that spoke solely to us.
We were dreamers, we were afraid,
we were seeking God, even while we played.

I wish I'd been a better listener. Or maybe I was,
just you stopped talking.
I wish I could have saved you from the madness,
chaos, secrets.
But I stood helplessly as the lies overtook you.
I was a child, you were my best friend,
and I mourned you even then.

What happened to the dreams, my friend?
Is this the life you always wanted?
But you and me, we read it, remember...
I can't always be the one with the memories...
Jesus said, in John 10:10 - I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
Is this really living? This life you have now?

No comments:

Post a Comment