Thursday, February 6, 2014

What Does Your Name Mean?

In my house in Florida, for most of my life, I remember there being a little framed artwork in the hallway outside of my bedroom. I saw this multiple times a day. There were two columns, one for Hillary Beth and one for Holland Bianca. I remember only one thing from my sister's side "she who works with her hands" or something like that. I remember from mine - Hillary means cheerful, and Beth means house of God. I know there was a whole list for each, but that's what I remember reading.

When I chose names for characters in my stories, I often went on elaborate searches for names that meant something that revealed a particular trait. I also named each of my future daughters, just in case I had three daughters, first and middle names included - but unless you are Alex Campbell or Rebecca Kilby, you probably don't know those names.

When I got married, I decided that if anyone asked, my official new name meaning read, "Cheerful house of God, who is my King," as Koenig means King.

What does your name mean? How has your family shaped this meaning for you? What do you consider when picking a name?

No comments:

Post a Comment